So, it’s been nearly 1 month since I’ve posted updated stats. Since then a lot has happened. We spent 2 weeks touring Vietnam and 1 week in Laos. We’ve also spent time in Thailand and Cambodia with more time left to be spent in both. Sorry for the long over due update. We’re currently in a sleepy coastal town in Cambodia called Kep. There is a National Park right beside our guest house, the beach and crab market are right down the road. We’ve been able to relax and catch up on our blogging here. After we leave here it’s to Siem Reap, Koh Tao to dive and Bangkok.
Amazingly, we are 75 days into our trip. After we finish Asia, Phi and I will be publishing a ranking of the countries visited. The factors that we are considering include food, adventure, the people, accommodations, ease of getting around, natural beauty, cleanliness, history and a few others.
As you can see, SE Asia is super light on the wallet. Our budget for the 6 month trip is $50K. If we stayed in Asia the whole time, that would be no problem! It’s worth noting that costs below exclude airfare, VISA costs and all purchases before the trip.
|How active?||Avg. Costs (daily costs within country)|
|Country||Avg. Daily Steps||Miles||Food||Trans.||
- Air Bnb: 35/74 nights
- Guest houses/hotels: 25/74 nights
- Trekking nights: 9/74 nights
- Staying with friends: 2/74 nights
- Cruise boat: 2/74 nights
- Sleeper bus: 1/74 nights
Other interesting stats:
- # of flights: 11
- # of Airport lounges visited with the Priority Pass: 9, best investment ever!
- # of books read by Matt: 5 (a French mystery, a Mao biography, David Copperfield, Cry the Beloved Country, All the Pretty Horses)
- # of books read by Phi: 4(The Monkey King, a Mao biography and Into Thin Air, David Copperfield)
- # of Christmas Movies watched this year: 1, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- # of fantasy football championships from Asia: I won my oldest league for the first time since 2005. I also made the finals in my grad school league, but finished 2nd =(.